An adverb phrase is simply two or more words that act as an adverb. It can modify a verb, adverb, or adjective and can tell “how”, “where”, “why”, or “when.”
An adverb clause which also modifies verbs, adverbs and adjectives; but, an adverb clause also includes a subject and a verb.
Adverb Phrases Describing How
- With great regret
- In dismay
- Like a monk in meditation
- As if I care
- In silence
- With a song in my heart
- Like greased lightning
Adverb Phrases Describing Where
- At the corner
- In the world
- Through the looking glass
- Over the rainbow
- Under the sea
- By the light of the moon
- Around the sun
Adverb Phrases Describing Why
- To understand better
- For making cookies
- Since she was getting married
- So that I won’t get lost
- Lest she forget
Adverb Phrases Describing When
- In an hour
- Any time
- Before next week
- After they go to bed
- Never at midnight
- After the sunset
- Only two days ago
Adverb Phrases in Sentences
Adverb phrases can be used in any position in a sentence.
Here are adverb phrase examples (shown as underlined) in various places in sentences:
- Bob nodded as if he understood.
- Meet me at the mall.
- Without thinking, he turned down the road.
- They must kiss before sunset.
- She went online for more information.
- In the forest many creatures snarl and growl.
- I will never do that, not in a million years.
- Dad spoke softly to calm her fears.
- They have a house by the ocean.
- She slammed the door in a huff.
- We will reconvene on the 25th of next month.
- Whenever I remember, I smile.
- She took some time of for a much needed vacation.
- At every possible turn, problems blocked his path.
- I saw a lot of trash beside the highway.
- He decided to join a gym to get in shape.
- Every time Jane runs the can opener, the dog comes to the kitchen.
- We strolled through the garden.
- With much consideration, he made his decision.
- Put the flowers by the birdbath.
- Jose always arrives sooner than the other students.
- She flew the plane between two buildings.
- So the audience could hear her, Michelle turned up the microphone.
- The seamstress mended the hem with needle and thread.
- Sometimes I don’t clean under the bed.
- He performed the tasks without care.
- Come closer so I can see how you have grown.
- Take this medication for pain as often as needed.
- The oath took us over the bridge.
- Mary learned, after a while, to drive slowly.
- To see the view, Harry climbed to the peak.
- The mysteries were placed next to the crime dramas.
- For answers to all your questions, just do a Google search.
- The parade coursed around the town square.
- She runs five miles every day.
- The children opened their presents with delight.
- In order to lose weight, he cut out most carbs.
- This product is available in all places.
- She responded in a very rude manner.
- First of all, you need to wash your hands.
- He stood on this very spot and lied.
- So that everyone could have clean water, they installed a filtration system.
To better understand the difference between an adverb phrase and an adverb clause, check out the examples of adverb clauses here on YourDictionary.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Adverb Phrase Examples." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 21 September 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/adverb-phrase-examples.html>.
Adverb Phrase Examples. (n.d.). Retrieved September 21st, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/adverb-phrase-examples.html