A compound verb is a verb that is made up of multiple words. The compound verb can include:
- A prepositional verb
- A phrasal verb
- A verb with auxiliaries
- A compound sing-word verb
Words for Compound Verbs
With a Prepositional Verb
- Believe in
- Ask for
- Rely upon
With a Phrasal Verb
- Tear up
- Take away
- Take down
- work on
- Was swimming
- Will be considering
- Will meet
- Are running
- Rely on
- Wear away
Sentences with Compound Verbs
- Mary will take off her makeup before bed.
- The town was destroyed by the tornado.
- Everything will work out eventually.
- I had water-proofed the boat, but not well enough.
- We opted for the cheaper room without a view.
- He was looking for a nice place to camp.
- Someone will need to proofread my manuscript.
- The meeting will reconvene in an hour.
- Egg cartons can sound-proof a room.
- We really need to air-condition the house.
- John will baby-sit for us tonight.
- Sometimes we second guess the outcome.
- I really want to test-drive that sports car.
- Dad will be waiting at the train station.
- The cashier shortchanged me fifty cents.
- You will be amazing in the role.
Compound Verbs in Quotes
- "I look forward to an America which will not be afraid of grace and beauty." - President John Kennedy
- "Although all three musicians had been playing earlier that night, they had not been together." - Erik Nisenson, Open Sky: Sonny Rollins And His World Of Improvisation
These examples of compound verbs show the many ways that this grammar tool can be used to further enhance the verb in a sentence.