An acronym is a pronounceable word formed from the first letter or first few letters of each word in a phrase or title. Sometimes the newly-combined letters create a new word that takes the place in everyday language. Using this shortened form of a word or phrase can speed up communication. Here is a list of common acronyms, listed by category.
These acronyms are very widely used, making them some of the most popular to appear in the English language.
- RADAR - Radio detecting and ranging
- LASER - Light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.
- NATO - The North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- UNICEF - The United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund.
- SCUBA - Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.
- WASP - White anglo saxon protestant.
These examples of acronyms show how a few, well-chosen letters can be a quick way to communicate.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Acronyms." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 21 September 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-acronyms.html>.
Examples of Acronyms. (n.d.). Retrieved September 21st, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-acronyms.html