An hyperbole is an exaggeration which may be used for emphasis and humor. Hyperboles are used in speaking and writing for effect or to make a boring story more interesting.
Hyperbole Examples for Children
- It was so cold I saw polar bears wearing jackets.
- I am so hungry I could eat a horse.
- I had a ton of chores to do.
- If I can’t get a Smartphone, I will die.
- She is as thin as a toothpick.
- This car goes faster than the speed of light.
- Our new house cost a bazillion dollars.
- We are poor and don’t have two cents to rub together.
- The car is as fast as greased lightning.
- He's got tons of video games.
- You could have knocked me over with a feather.
- Her brain is the size of a pea.
- Grandpa is older than dirt.
- My mom is going to kill me.
- Old Mr. Smith has been teaching here since the Stone Age.
- My birthday will never come.
- I’m going to stay awake all night and catch Santa Claus.
- He knows everything about math.
- My dad is always working.
- That was the easiest test in the world.
- Let’s be best friends forever.
- Nothing can stop our team from winning the championship.
- My dress shoes are killing me.
- He was skinny enough to jump through a keyhole.
- Going to Disneyland is the best idea ever.
- Carrie never stops talking.
- I have told you a million times not to do that.
- We used to walk 15 miles to school in the snow, uphill.
- He is the best player of all time.
- It is so hot you could fry an egg on the sidewalk.
- You are walking slower than a snail.
- Football is all he cares about.
- Everybody knows that.
- My mom works her fingers to the bone.
- His stomach is a bottomless pit.
- Her smile was a mile wide.
- The church was decorated with a million flowers.
- I ate so much at Thanksgiving, I must weigh more than a whale.
- We waited for centuries for the latest game to be released.
- It will only take me two seconds to get there.
- The mall is large enough to have its own zip code.
- This is so boring, just kill me now!
Hyperboles in Ads
Kids see advertisements all the time, and many contain hyperboles. Here of examples of hyperboles in advertising:
- A T & T - Reach out and touch someone.
- Citgo - There at every turn.
- Brilliant Brunette shampoo - Adds amazing luster for infinite, mirror-like shine.
- Citi - Citi never sleeps.
- Disneyland - The happiest place on earth.
- Esso - Put a tiger in your tank.
- Energizer - Keeps going and going and going.
- Geico - It's so easy, a caveman can do it.
- iPhone 5 - Browse, download and stream content at blazing-fast speeds.
- Oscar Meyer - It doesn't get better than this.
- Redbull - It gives you wings!
- Sherwin Williams - Cover the earth.
- Visa - It’s everywhere you want to be.
- 321 East - How good is our steak? Last week a man who was choking on a piece refused the Heimlich maneuver.
For more fun with the English language, check out these Grammar Games for Kids.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Hyperbole for Kids." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 22 June 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-hyperbole-for-kids.html>.
Examples of Hyperbole for Kids. (n.d.). Retrieved June 22nd, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-hyperbole-for-kids.html