Hyperbole is an exaggeration used for emphasis or humor. This literary tool is often used to make a certain element of a story seem more interesting. To say you were bored to tears (even when you were never on the verge of crying) packs a bit more of a punch than, "I was bored."
These literary tools are meant to be taken with a grain of salt because, while lying isn't encouraged, stretching the truth is the name of the game.
Let's have some fun with entertaining examples of hyperbole for kids that'll acquaint them with a new element of fiction and hopefully spark a lifelong friendship.
Hyperbole to Express Size
- She's as thin as a toothpick.
- Her brain is the size of a pea.
- He was skinny enough to jump through a keyhole.
- That mall is large enough to have its own zip code.
- I ate so much on Thanksgiving, I weigh more than a whale.
- Her smile was a mile wide.
- His stomach is a bottomless pit.
Hyperbole to Express Desperation
- If I can't get a smartphone, I will die.
- My mom is going to kill me.
- These dress shoes are killing me.
- This is so boring, just kill me now!
- It was so cold I saw polar bears wearing jackets.
- My mom works her fingers to the bone.
- It feels like my birthday will never come.
- I had a ton of chores to do.
- I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.
- It's so hot you could fry an egg on the sidewalk.
- We used to walk 15 miles to school in the snow, uphill.
- You could have knocked me over with a feather.
Hyperbole to Exaggerate Expense
- Our new house cost a bazillion dollars.
- We don't have two cents to rub together.
- The church was decorated with a million flowers.
- He's got tons of video games.
Hyperbole to Exaggerate Time
- Grandpa is older than dirt.
- Old Mr. Smith has been teaching here since the Stone Age.
- My dad is always working.
- I've told you a million times not to do that.
- We waited for centuries for the latest game to be released.
- It will only take me two seconds to get there.
- You're walking slower than a snail.
- Carrie never stops talking.
- I'm going to stay awake all night to catch Santa Claus.
Hyperboles in Ads
Kids see advertisements all the time and many contain hyperboles. Here of some examples of hyperboles in advertising:
- AT&T - Reach out and touch someone.
- Citgo - There at every turn.
- Citi - Citi never sleeps.
- Disneyland - The happiest place on earth.
- Esso - Put a tiger in your tank.
- Energizer - Keeps going and going and going.
- Geico - It's so easy, a caveman can do it.
- Oscar Meyer - It doesn't get better than this.
- Redbull - It gives you wings!
- Sherwin Williams - Cover the earth.
- Visa - It's everywhere you want to be.
Now that the kids are hooked on hyperbole, we hope you'll continue the fun with more Examples of Hyperbole. And, when the time's right, why not expand their horizons into personification or alliteration? These Figure of Speech Examples provides a nice starting point for all the fictional fun you're about to ensconce them in.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Hyperbole for Kids." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 16 October 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-hyperbole-for-kids.html>.
Examples of Hyperbole for Kids. (n.d.). Retrieved October 16th, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-hyperbole-for-kids.html