A linking verb connects the subject with a word that gives information about the subject, such as a condition or relationship. They do not show any action; they simply link the subject with the rest of the sentence. For example, in the sentence "They are a problem," the word "are" is the linking verb that connects "they" and "problem" to show the relationship between the two words.
The most common linking verbs are forms of the verb to be: am, is, are, was, were, being, been.
Linking Verb Examples
Here are some examples of linking verbs used in sentences with the linking verbs in bold:
- William is excited about his promotion.
- She appears upset about the announcement.
- The eggs smell rotten.
- He went red after tripping on the rug.
- Your plans for the wedding sound nice.
- You look exhausted after studying all night.
- I am putty in his hands.
- Maria might have been more forthcoming with the news.
- Tom acted nervous when the teacher found the note.
- The audience fell silent when the conductor walked on stage.
- Dreams come true when we believe in them.
- The crowd stayed calm in spite of the imminent threat.
- All the children seem satisfied with the bouncy castle.
- Bob felt sleepy after eating the whole pizza.
- The cinnamon rolls taste heavenly.
- Building the house proves difficult for them.
- Anthony has been a dream the last few weeks.
- The spectators remained silent after the injury on the field.
- He became suspicious when he saw the safe was open.
- All the kittens were playful.
- The theater gets dark when the show is about to begin.
- Some couples are lucky enough to grow old together.
- I feel worthy when the boss compliments me.
- The weather was accommodating and the party continued.
- The embers turn ashy as they cool.
- You are bring very foolish to believe her.
- Mary waxed nostalgic on her 50th birthday.
- Your friend might be disappointed if you don’t go.
- Sometimes, kids act foolish.
- We are dismayed about the foreclosure.
- The tests indicate that your child is gifted.
- Martin is fond of spicy food.
- Jumping into a pond could be dangerous.
- Most children get cranky when they are sleepy.
- After the snowstorm, the roads were slippery.
- A flaw in the design appeared to be the cause of the collapse.
- The vegetables in the bin looked disgusting and spoiled.
- They shall be happy ever after.
- Riding in a car will be safer with a seat belt.
- The police department is getting tough on crime.
- She remains faithful, even though it has been two years since he left.
To download and keep a list of common linking verbs, click on the image on the right. To learn more about this type of verb and its usage, read the informative article Linking Verbs.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Linking Verbs." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 17 September 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-linking-verbs.html>.
Examples of Linking Verbs. (n.d.). Retrieved September 17th, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-linking-verbs.html