Companies, organizations, schools and other groups, committees and individuals use a broad range of information, formats and styles in their mission statements to set forth their goals. Mission statements can also tell the types of services, products and help which can be expected from the group.
Formulating a Mission Statement
Mission statements can be quite lengthy, or they can be a simple sentence or two.
Here are some mission statements from various organizations, groups and individuals, both full statements as well as some quotations:
- "The mission of Catholic Charities is to provide service to people in need, to advocate for justice in social structures, and to call the entire church and other people of good will to do the same." from Catholic Charities USA
- "The ASPCA Animal Behavior Center is dedicated to promoting balanced, respectful and enriched relations between people and pets through graduate and post-graduate programs for aspiring animal behaviorists; continuing behavioral education for shelter personnel, trainers, veterinarians, and other animal professionals; and the provision of practical, humane advice on pet behavior for owners." from the ASPCA
- "The mission of Mothers Against Drunk Driving is to stop drunk driving, support the victims of this violent crime and prevent underage drinking." from MADD
- "The mission of the Science Museum of Long Island is to: -Stimulate and nurture children's natural interest in science and help them to discover the power of science through the fun of science. -Provide science education through hands-on learning. -Elevate the level of science literacy" from the Science Museum of Long Island
- "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 3 million members and supporters. PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in the clothing trade, in laboratories, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds, and other "pests" as well as cruelty to domesticated animals. PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns." From PETA.
- “The advancement of all good literature, arts, and sciences; the advancement and education of youth in all manner of good literature, arts, and sciences; and all other necessary provisions that may conduce to the education of the … youth of this country….” from Harvard University
- "...Georgetown College is committed to the Jesuit traditions of an integrated education and of productive research in the liberal arts, including fine arts, humanities, languages, sciences, and social sciences. The College seeks to expand the imagination, foster the life of the spirit, cultivate lifelong learning, encourage service to God and humanity, and promote respect for diversity in an age of global community." From Georgetown University.
- "Penn State is a multicampus public research university that educates students from Pennsylvania, the nation and the world, and improves the well being and health of individuals and communities through integrated programs of teaching, research, and service...As Pennsylvania's land-grant university, we provide unparalleled access and public service to support the citizens of the Commonwealth. We engage in collaborative activities with industrial, educational, and agricultural partners here and abroad to generate, disseminate, integrate, and apply knowledge that is valuable to society." From Pennsylvania State University.
- "University of Phoenix provides access to higher education opportunities that enable students to develop knowledge and skills necessary to achieve their professional goals, improve the productivity of their organizations and provide leadership and service to their communities." From the University of Phoenix.
- "Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world." From Columbia University.
- "Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad" from Apple
- "Our vision is to be earth's most customer centric company; to build a place where people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online." from Amazon
- "To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world." from Nike
- "Build the best product, cause no unnecessary harm, use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis." from Patagonia
- "Our Roadmap starts with our mission, which is enduring. It declares our purpose as a company and serves as the standard against which we weigh our actions and decisions.
To refresh the world...
To inspire moments of optimism and happiness...
To create value and make a difference." From the Coca-Cola corporation
- "Our mission: to inspire and nurture the human spirit one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time." From Starbucks
- "I plan to contribute to the graduate program by focusing my research on Oscar Wilde's literature and working closely with a professional in that field."
- "I plan to contribute to the volunteer organization by spending four hours each Saturday donating my time and by proposing new ideas to the organization's leaders."
- "I pledge to offer the highest quality of leadership, the greatest level of expertise, and tireless dedication to the cause if I am chosen for this position."
- "My goal is to lose 20 pounds over the next three months. I will take every effort necessary to ensure that I meet and, if possible, exceed my goal by making lifestyle changes like eating a healthy diet and exercising daily."
- "I will coach this team with integrity and honor. I will expect of my players no more and no less than I would expect from myself. I will dedicate myself to giving us the best possible chance of being winners whether we're on the field or off."
- "I will contribute positively to this community by cleaning up trash at the park, and by teaching others the importance of environmental care."
Mission statements then can be for the largest of organizations and for the smallest. Groups such as non-profits and education providers can form mission statements to make their purposes clear. Individuals can write mission statements for college admissions essays or for job applications.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Mission Statements." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 16 August 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-mission-statements.html>.
Examples of Mission Statements. (n.d.). Retrieved August 16th, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-mission-statements.html