A Renaissance man is defined as a man who is knowledgeable or proficient in a variety of fields. He is an intelligent man who excels in many areas.
Renaissance Men in History
Here are examples of Renaissance men in history and some of their accomplishments or areas of interest:
- Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519) is a prime example of a Renaissance man. He was a painter, sculptor, humanist, scientist, architect, philosopher, engineer, and more. He was considered a universal genius by many.
- Akbar the Great (1542–1605) was an architect, artist, writer, theologian, carpenter and technologist.
- Alhazen (965–1039) was a physicist, scientist, astronomer, mathematician, ophthalmologist, engineer inventor, philosopher, and theologian.
- Baha ad-Din al-Amili (1547-1621) was proficient in architecture, astronomy, mathematics, philosophy and poetry.
- Abū Rayhān al-Bīrūnī (973–1048) was an anthropologist, astronomer, physicist, geologist, natural historian, physician, mathematician, theologian and philosopher.
- Alexander Borodin (1833-1887) is known as a composer as well as a musician, scientist, chemist and educationist.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475–1564) excelled as an architect, painter, sculptor, poet and writer.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BC–43 BC) was a humanist, lawyer, linguist, orator, philosopher, politician, and prose stylist.
- Armen Firman (810–887) was an aviator, chemist, engineer, inventor, musician, physician and poet.
- Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790) had a wide range of interests including natural sciences, literature and politics. He was an inventor, civil activist, diplomat, author and political theorist.
- Galileo (1564–1642) was most interested on astronomy but was also knowledgeable in the fields of mathematics, physics, philosophy, music and art
- Zhang Heng (78-139) was an inventor, cartographer, astronomer, poet, philosopher, painter, sculptor, mathematician, and historian.
- Robert Hooke (1635–1703) was an experimental scientist, architect, natural philosopher, mathematician and surveyor
- Imhotep (2650–2600 BC) was considered a polymath who was an engineer, physician and architect.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826) was many things, including architect, author, lawyer, musician, botanist, inventor, philosopher, political theorist and naturalist.
- Ibn Khalun (1332–1406) was, among other things, a diplomat, economist, historian, political theorist, social scientist, theologian, demographer and linguist.
- Amir Khusrow (1253-1325) was well-known for his poetry as well as being a musician, inventor, mystic, linguist, and historian
- Gottfried Leibniz (1646–1716) made contributions to the fields of history, logic, philosophy, physics, mathematics, and theology.
- Juan Caramuel y Lobkowitz (1606–1682) published many works on architecture, asceticism, astronomy, grammar, logic, mathematics, physics, poetry, politics and theology.
- Mikhail Vasilyevich Lomonosov (1711–1765) was knowledgeable in the fields of art, education, history, literature, physics, chemistry, and natural science.
- Isaac Newton (1643–1727) was a mathematician, physicist, astronomer, theologian, alchemist and natural philosopher.
- Blaise Pascal (1623–1662) is well-known as a physicist but was also a mathematician, theologian, philosopher and author.
- Jose Rizal (1861–1896) is a national hero of the Philippines and also a biologist, volcanologist, ophthalmologist, painter, poet, novelist and political scientist.
- Ibn Rushd (1126-1198) was a doctor, lawyer, astronomer, philosopher, astronomer, theologian and mathematician
- Rabindranath Thakur (1861–1941) was a major influence in Bengali literature and music and was also a painter.
Modern Day Renaissance Men
Examples of modern day Renaissance men include:
- Brad Pitt
- Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins
- James Franco
- Ryan Gosling
- Hugh Jackman
- Steve Jobs
- Viggo Mortensen
- Justin Timberlake
- Pharrell Williams
As you can see, all of these men are accomplished in many areas and are classic examples of Renaissance men.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Renaissance Men." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 22 June 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-renaissance-men.html>.
Examples of Renaissance Men. (n.d.). Retrieved June 22nd, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-renaissance-men.html