Sarcasm is an ironic or satirical remark that seems to be praising someone or something but is really taunting or cutting. Sarcasm can be used to hurt or offend or can be used for comic affect.
- I’m trying to imagine you with a personality.
- I work 40 hours a week to be this poor.
- Is it time for your medication or mine?
- Well, this day was a total waste of makeup.
- Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.
- Not the brightest crayon in the box now, are we?
- Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?
- Earth is full. Go home.
- Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.
- This isn’t an office. It’s Hell with fluorescent lighting.
- I majored in liberal arts. Will that be for here or to go?
- Don’t bother me. I’m living happily ever after.
Impact of Tone of Voice
Sarcasm sometimes depends on the tone of voice. These examples of sarcasm are replies to people or situations and would only be sarcastic with a sarcastic tone of voice:
- When something bad happens - That's just what I need, great! Terrific!
- When you expected something to happen, especially after warning someone about it - Well what a surprise!
- When someone says something that is very obvious - Really Sherlock, No! You are clever
- When someone does something wrong - Very good, well done, nice!
- When something happens that you don’t want or need - That's just what we need!
Sarcastic Quotes by Famous People
- "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde
- “Sometimes I need what only you can provide: your absence." - Ashleigh Brilliant
- "I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop
- "I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception." - Groucho Marx
- "The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but not the power of speech." - George Bernard Shaw
- "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain
- "Weather forecast for tonight: dark." - George Carlin
- "You see, money's not everything in life is it? But it keeps you in touch with your children..." - Johnnie Casson
- "The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse who gets the cheese." - Steven Wright
- "What's on your mind, if you will allow the overstatement?" - Fred Allen
- "I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." - Lily Tomlin
- "Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain
- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Fred Allen
- "Children really brighten up a household - they never turn the lights off." - Ralph Bus
- "Honesty is the best policy -- when there is money in it." - Mark Twain
Now you see lots of different examples of different kinds of sarcasm and sarcastic comments.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Sarcasm." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 22 June 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-sarcasm.html>.
Examples of Sarcasm. (n.d.). Retrieved June 22nd, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-sarcasm.html