Skepticism, simply put, is doubt. This disbelief can be based on the lack of scientific evidence to support a claim or it can be based on religious beliefs. Sometimes people are skeptical just because they don’t believe something, in spite of scientific evidence.
Skepticism in Certain Situations
- The police officer was skeptical that the driver, who was weaving in and out of traffic, only had two beers.
- We were skeptical when Mary claimed that, after having two children, she could still get into her wedding dress.
- The sales pitch seemed too good to be true, so he was skeptical.
- The teacher was skeptical when Timmy told her the dog ate his homework.
- After the politician said he would not raise taxes, the voters were skeptical.
- Joy was skeptical when the television ad said the cleaner would take out all stains.
- I was still skeptical even after the word “natural” was printed on the food label.
Skepticism in the Sciences
- Astrology - the belief that celestial bodies affect a person
- Big Foot - a larger than life beast in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.
- Chupacabra - a blood-sucking animal that attacks livestock
- Full moon affects human behavior
- Global warming and climate change
- Ancient alien theory - aliens have visited the earth in the past
- Bermuda Triangle - an area of unexplained occurrences
- Face on Mars - a sign of intelligent life
- Flat Earth theory - the Earth is flat and disc-shaped
- Hollow Earth theory - the belief that at least some of the interior of the Earth is empty space
- Moon landing - some say it was faked or some were faked
- Yeti or the Abominable Snowman - an ape-like creature, taller than a human, that inhabits the Himalaian Mountians in Tibet.
Skepticism in Medicine
- Colonics or colon hydrotherapy
- Craniosacral therapy
- Crystal healing
- Magnet therapy
- Value of natural supplements
- NAET allergy elimination technique
- Naturopathic medicine
- Value of organic food
- Qi-energy in the body
Skepticism in Other Fields
- Aryanism - claim that the Aryan race is superior
- Channeling - communication with a spirit
- Creationism and creation myths
- Crop circles - patterns in crops are created by aliens
- Curses - Certain people or objects can cause bad luck
- Dowsing - a way to find water or minerals under the ground
- EVP - Electronic voice phenomenon
- ESP - Extra-sensory perception
- Feng shui - Chinese system for locating a place for a tomb or shrine
- Holocaust denial - that the Nazi extermination camps did not take place.
- Hypnotherapy - therapy while the subject is hypnotized
- Mayan calendar and the end of the earth
- Mythical creatures like elves, fairies, unicorns, leprechauns or gnomes
- Polygraphy - lie detectors
- Psychokinesis - moving objects with the power of the mind
- Psychoanalysis - theory formulated by Sigmund Freud
- Subliminal advertising - visual or oral information below a person’s consciousness
- Superstitions - can be both good luck and bad luck
- UFOs - some do not believe in their existence
- Voodoo dolls - belief that if you hurt the doll you hurt the person it resembles
Now you have seen some examples of skepticism in specific situations as well as things that many people are skeptical about.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Skepticism." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 22 June 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-skepticism.html>.
Examples of Skepticism. (n.d.). Retrieved June 22nd, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-skepticism.html