Synonyms are words that are similar, or have a related meaning, to another word. They can be lifesavers when you want to avoid repeating the same word over and over. Also, sometimes the word you have in mind might not be the most appropriate word, which is why finding the right synonym can come in handy. Luckily, we do not have to go searching the recesses of our mind to come up with a list of synonyms; there are numerous online tools providing synonym examples, including the thesaurus right here at YourDictionary.com.
Choosing a Synonym
There is a certain skill involved in choosing the most appropriate synonym, as not all are created equal. It is important to consider the connotation of the word because some synonyms can inject a different meaning than the one intended.
For example, one synonym of sad is "gloomy" however, this word carries quite a negative connotation. Depending on the circumstance you can use it, but in this instance, if you just want to say that someone is "down," then another synonym such as "blue" or "unhappy" would be more applicable.
Here is a list of adjectives and their synonyms that are commonly used to describe people.
- Beautiful: Attractive, Pretty, Lovely, Stunning
- Fair: Just, Objective, Impartial, Unbiased
- Funny: Humorous, Comical, Hilarious, Hysterical
- Happy: Content, Joyful, Mirthful, Upbeat
- Hardworking: Diligent, Determined, Industrious, Enterprising
- Honest: Honorable, Fair, Sincere, Trustworthy
- Intelligent: Smart, Bright, Brilliant, Sharp
- Introverted: Shy, Bashful, Quiet, Withdrawn
- Kind:Thoughtful, Considerate, Amiable, Gracious
- Lazy: Idle, Lackadaisical, Lethargic, Indolent
- Mean: Unfriendly, Unpleasant, Bad-tempered, Difficult
- Outgoing: Friendly, Sociable, Warm, Extroverted
- Rich: Affluent, Wealthy, Well-off, Well-to-do
- Strong: Stable, Secure, Solid, Tough
- Unhappy: Sad, Depressed, Melancholy, Miserable
- Lucky: Auspicious, Fortunate
- Positive: Optimistic, Cheerful, Starry-eyed, Sanguine
- Bossy: Controlling, Tyrannical
SYNONYM TEST - View & Download PDF
Here are some miscellaneous words and their synonyms:
- Hypocrisy: duplicity, falseness
- Recalcitrant: obstinate, stubborn
- Turbulent: disordered, violent
- Valid: authorized, legitimate
- Old: antiquated, ancient, obsolete, extinct, past, prehistoric, venerable, aged
- True: genuine, reliable, factual, accurate, precise, correct, valid, real
- Important: required, substantial, vital, essential, primary, significant, requisite, critical
- Weak: frail, anemic, feeble, infirm, languid, sluggish, puny, fragile
These are just a few examples of synonyms but hopefully you can see that working with synonyms can make your writing more varied and fun and help you expand your vocabulary.
See the infographic above for a quick reference guide to navigating the differences between synonyms, antonyms, homonyms and homophones.
For more work with synonyms and more synonym examples, check out the following sites:
- Scholastic.com has an interactive synonym game "World Girl: Solving Crime with Words."
- Quia.com has a fun online matching synonyms game.
- Edhelper.com has a range of synonym worksheets for elementary to highschool level, including SAT prep.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Synonyms." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 22 June 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-synonyms.html>.
Examples of Synonyms. (n.d.). Retrieved June 22nd, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-synonyms.html