Synonyms are words that are similar or have a related meaning to another word. They can be lifesavers, especially when you want to avoid repeating the same words over and over. Also, sometimes the word you have in mind might not be the most appropriate word, which is why finding the right synonym can come in handy. Luckily, we do not have to go searching the recesses of our mind to come up with a list of synonyms; there are numerous online tools providing synonym examples at our disposal including right here at YourDictionary.com.
Choosing a Synonym
There is a certain skill involved in choosing the most appropriate synonym, as not all are created equal. It is important to consider the connotation of the word because some synonyms can inject a different meaning than the one intended.
For example, one synonym of sad is "gloomy" however, this word carries quite a negative connotation. Depending on the circumstance you can use it, but if you just want to say that someone is "down," then another synonym such as "blue" or "unhappy" would be more applicable.
Here is a list of adjectives and their synonyms that are commonly used to describe people.
- Beautiful: Attractive, Pretty, Lovely, Stunning
- Fair: Just, Objective, Impartial, Unbiased
- Funny: Humorous, Comical, Hilarious, Hysterical
- Happy: Content, Joyful, Mirthful, Upbeat
- Hardworking: Diligent, Determined, Industrious, Enterprising
- Honest: Honorable, Fair, Sincere, Trustworthy
- Intelligent: Smart, Bright, Brilliant, Sharp
- Introverted: Shy, Bashful, Quiet, Withdrawn
- Kind:Thoughtful, Considerate, Amiable, Gracious
- Lazy: Idle, Lackadaisical, Lethargic, Indolent
- Mean: Unfriendly, Unpleasant, Bad-tempered, Difficult
- Outgoing: Friendly, Sociable, Warm, Extroverted
- Rich: Affluent, Wealthy, Well-off, Well-to-do
- Strong: Stable, Secure, Solid, Tough
- Unhappy: Sad, Depressed, Melancholy, Miserable
- Lucky: Auspicious, Fortunate
- Positive: Optimistic, Cheerful, Starry-eyed, Sanguine
- Bossy: Controlling, Tyrannical
Here are some miscellaneous words and their synonyms:
- Baffle: confuse, deceive
- Hypocrisy: duplicity, falseness
- Pacify: appease, placate
- Recalcitrant: obstinate, stubborn
- Turbulent: disordered, violent
- Valid: authorized, legitimate
- Old: antiquated, ancient, obsolete, extinct, past, prehistoric, venerable, aged
- True: genuine, reliable, factual, accurate, precise, correct, valid, real
- Important: required, substantial, vital, essential, primary, significant, requisite, critical
- Weak: frail, anemic, feeble, infirm, languid, sluggish, puny, fragile
Below are a list of synonyms related to the adjectives above. Match the right synonym with one of the adjectives above.
Answer Key: 1. Rich; 2. Sad; 3. Strong; 4. Intelligent; 5. Beautiful; 6. Honest; 7. Kind; 8. Outgoing; 9. Mean; 10. Introverted; 11. Lazy; 12. Funny; 13. Fair; 14. Hardworking; 15. Happy
For more work with synonyms and more synonym examples, check out the following sites:
- Vancouver Webpages has a synonym dictionary.
- Scholastic.com has an interactive synonym game "World Girl: Solving Crime with Words."
- Quia.com has a fun online matching synonyms game.
- Edhelper.com has a range of synonym worksheets for elementary to highschool level, including SAT prep.