There and their are homophones - words that sound alike; but, they are spelled in different ways and have different meanings. There is used when referring to a place -either a concrete or abstract place. Their is used to indicate possession.
There Refers to a Place
Here are some examples of the word there used in a sentence.
- Put your coat down over there.
- There is something to be said for telling the truth.
- What is over there?
- That is neither here nor there.
- There is always another opportunity to be had down the road.
- The book is right over there.
- The remote is over there on the couch.
- Why don't you go over there and tell me what is inside?
- There are two people in the room right now.
- There is supposed to be rain tomorrow.
- I know there is truth to what you are saying.
- I did not know there was milk in the refrigerator.
- Who knew that there was going to be a sequel to the movie.
- I hope that there is no snow tomorrow.
- I always wondered what was in there.
Their Shows Possession
Here are some examples of the word their used in a sentence:
- That red house is their house.
- The beagle is their dog.
- Going to the store was their idea.
- They are in over their head.
- Joe and Sue always want things their way.
- I didn't know that it was their cat.
- It is always their dog that is barking.
- Why don't you ask them what their plans are?
- I never forgot that it was their suggestion that started the company.
- Is that their boat?
- You should stay out of their business.
- You should stop by their lemonade stand for a drink.
- You should not take their word at face value.
- You should know that their house is for sale.
- Their car goes way faster than your vehicle does.
- Did you know that their new business has taken off?
Examples of Their and There in a Sentence
The word their and there can be used in the same sentence. Here are some examples of how this happens:
- The boat over there is their boat.
- Put the book over there next to their shelves.
- There is no way I could know it was their paint.
- It is always their idea to go to the beach over there.
- There is always another opportunity to get on their good side.
- Their is no shortage of bugs over there in the corner.
- Their trip to the spa was disappointing when they got there and saw it was closed.
- Their only hope was that there would be someone to let them in when they arrived.
- Their plane was two hours late and they were glad to finally get there.
- There was a long wait before their luggage arrived at the gate.
- There was never any doubt that he would go to school there.
- There is still hope that their dog will be found.
Now you have seen examples of their and there. You can also learn the Rules for There and Their to find out more about this important grammar concept.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of There and Their." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 17 August 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-there-and-their.html>.
Examples of There and Their. (n.d.). Retrieved August 17th, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-there-and-their.html