An oasis is a place in a desert that has water supplied by a spring or other underground water source. The word oasis can also be used in a metaphorical way to describe a refuge or relief from something difficult or unpleasant.
Looking for an oasis? Here are examples of physical desert oases throughout the world:
- Abraham’s Oasis in Syria
- Agua Caliente in Tucson, Arizona
- Al-Hasa oasis region in Saudi Arabia.
- Awjila Oasis in northeastern Libya
- Chebika Desert Oasis in Tunisia
- Crescent Lake Oasis in China
- Desert Lake Oasis in Brazil
- Ein Gedi in Israel, west of the Dead Sea
- Ein-Kelt Oasis in the Judean desert in Israel
- Erg Awbari Oasis in the Sahara desert
- Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge in western Utah, United States
- Gaberoun Oasis in the Libyan Sahara desert in southwestern Libya
- Ghardaia Oasis in Algeria
- Gobi Desert Oasis
- Huacachina Oasis in Peru
- Ica Oasis in Peru
- Khar Nuur in Mongolia
- Kufra Oasis in eastern Libya
- La Cienega in New Mexico, United States
- Liwa Oasis in the United Arab Emirates
- Loulan in China
- Maranhao Oasis within Lençóis Maranhenses National Park, Maranhao, Brazil
- Miran in China
- Mulegé in Baja California Sur, Mexico.
- The M’zab is an oasis group in Algeria
- Nahal David Desert Oasis in Israel
- Niger Oasis
- Niya in China
- Oasis Ein Gedi, Israel
- Oasis in Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas, Nevada
- Oman Desert Oasis
- The Ouargla Oasis in Algeria
- Palm Valley in the Northern Territory of Australia
- Qatif Desert Oasis in Saudi Arabia
- San Ignacio in Baja California Sur, Mexico.
- Sonoran desert oasis in North America
- Tabas in Iran
- Tafilalt Oasis in the Moroccan Sahara
- Tamr el Qusar in Sudan
- Timia Oasis in Niger
- Timimoun in Algeria
- Tinerhir Oasis in Morocco
- Tozeur in Tunisia
- Tunisian Desert Oasis
- Turpan Oasis in China
- Twentynine Palms in California, United States
- Ubari Oasis in Lybia
- Umm-al-Maa is a lake oasis in the Idehan Ubari Sand Sea, Libya
- Wahat Salimah in Sudan
- Warm Springs Natural Area in Nevada, United States
- Yarkand Oasis in China
- Ziz Oasis in the Sahara Desert in Morocco
Oases in Egypt
Here are examples of oases in Egypt:
- Al Farafra Oasis is located in the western desert of Egypt.
- Al Kharga Oasis is located west of the Nile valley.
- The Bahariya Oasis is the northernmost oasis of Egypt.
- El Dakhla Oasis is the southernmost oasis in Egypt.
- Al Fayoum Oasis is located west of the Nile River and south of Cairo.
Other Oases in Egypt
The city of Siwa has an oasis and many small oases are close by:
- Al Arg
- Al Bahrian
- Al Lig
- Al Maraqy
- Al Qattra
- Garet Om Al Saghir
- Om Al Ghazlan
Here are examples of an oasis used metaphorically:
- A tropical island
- A park in the midst of a very busy city
- The bedroom you use as an escape from your troubles
- A man cave
- A cruise ship
- A cabin in the wilderness
- The break room in a large office
- A backyard swimming pool
- A soak in a bathtub with candlelight and fragrant bubbles
- A church or temple
- The roof garden atop a high rise building
- A penthouse apartment or hotel room
- A mountain retreat
There are many different oases, some are physical and others are metaphorical. Now, you've seen examples of both types.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Oasis Examples." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 19 August 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/oasis-examples.html>.
Oasis Examples. (n.d.). Retrieved August 19th, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/oasis-examples.html