Persuasive writing is writing where you try to convince someone to take a particular issue on a point of voice. Persuasive writing may be designed to convince the reader to take your position on a particular issue or may be designed to convince the reader to take a certain action.
Persuading Readers with Your Writing
Persuasive writing is very common in advertising where marketing professionals try to convince you to buy something. Persuasive writing can also be used in lots of other situations as well.
Here are some examples of persuasive writing.
- Brand of chips is the crispiest, crunchiest and most delicious brand of chips you will ever taste. Buy a bag today.
- A vacation to Florida is an experience you will never forget, offering sun, fun and beautiful beaches. Book your trip today.
- An ABC mattress is the most comfortable bed you will ever sleep on. You'll feel as if you are sleeping on a cloud. Give the bed a try today.
- XYZ dog food is sure to make your dog's tail wag. If you truly love your dog, you'll give this brand a try today.
- You don't want to make a mistake on your tax return. Trust the expert accountants at 123 Accounting with your taxes to ensure you get the most money back.
- Our injury attorneys have recovered millions of dollars for clients and we can take your case and represent your interests. Call us today to schedule a free consultation.
- Our store has the lowest prices and the best selection of all of the stores in the town. Visit us today to see our great selection.
- All of the cool kids are wearing clothes from XXX Store. If you want to fit in with the in-crowd, you should be sure to shop here too.
- Our headache medication will get rid of your headache for five hours with just one pill and has fewer side effects than other similar medications. Try it today.
- If you vote for me, I will make sure that your taxes are low and that you get the government services that you depend upon. Cast your vote today.
- Mandatory minimum sentencing is wrong because it is a form of discrimination and many people receive very long sentences for minor crimes. We should overturn mandatory minimum sentencing rules and give judges more discussion.
- Raising taxes is wrong because people should be entitled to keep their own money and because an increase in tax revenue will be stifling to businesses. We should keep taxes low or even reduce tax rates to encourage growth.
- The death penalty is a good deterrent for criminals and is fair because the Bible says an eye for an eye. We should keep the death penalty on the books.
- Marijuana should be legalized because it is no worse for you than alcohol and because we are putting too many people in prison and spending too much money to incarcerate them for nonviolent crimes.
In each of these examples, the writing is trying to get you to do something or support something by explaining a reason to do it or a benefit or advantage to taking an action.