A PGCE is a Postgraduate Certificate in Education that may or may not require Master's credits. It can be offered in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The program is a course that spans one year and enables the holder to train to be a teacher.
PGCE Personal Statements
Applications for the PGCE can be made between September and June in order to begin coursework in September. Most applicants should file their application with the Graduate Teaching Training Registry.
One part of the application process involves creating a personal statement. The personal statement is fairly brief, covering no more than 47 lines. The personal statement should include:
- Reasons for wanting to teach
- Significance of previous experience
- Relevance of previous education
- Work experience with the group with whom the applicant would like to teach
Some examples of statements that could be part of your PGCE personal statement include:
- I have really enjoyed working with primary level students through my experience as a teaching assistant.
- My undergraduate work in English has helped me to build the skills necessary to effectively teach writing to youth.
- I have a passion for education and believe it to be the foundation of any civilized society. As such, I want to be a part of transforming the lives of youth to prepare them for university and careers.
- My experience as a psychology major has helped me to understand child development and has caused me to want to be a part of helping young children to build foundational skills for learning.
- As a dance student for many years, my love of physical education and my natural aptitude for it make me a highly qualified candidate to teach physical education to primary level children.
- My coursework in the field of literature and extensive knowledge of the topic uniquely qualify me to teach primary level English courses.
- I am motivated and passionate about being a part of the educational system in order to affect positive change in society.
- My experience as a daycare provider has built the experience with youth that has prepared me to be an effective teacher of primary level students.
- As a youth group coordinator of teenage children, I have the experience to effectively teach and reach this population in the classroom.
- I have had the opportunity to build my interpersonal and communication skills in a variety of jobs which makes me a candidate who will be effective in working with other faculty, communicating with parents, and being a highly effective teacher.
- In my previous work and education experience, I have formed the time management skills that are crucial to success in the classroom as an educator.
- My successful completion of my science and math coursework in my undergraduate level education has helped me to build the problem solving skills that are imperative for success in the classroom.
- My undergraduate mathematical work has prepared me for teaching secondary math.
- My own artwork and art coursework exemplifies my creativity and success in art, and reflects my potential for success as a teacher of art at the primary level.
Hopefully these examples will help inspire you to prepare your own personal statement for your application.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"PGCE Personal Statement Examples." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 17 October 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/pgce-personal-statement-examples.html>.
PGCE Personal Statement Examples. (n.d.). Retrieved October 17th, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/pgce-personal-statement-examples.html