Syntax is the arrangement of words in a sentence and the study of the rules that govern the formation of a proper sentence.
- The cat is running up the tree.
- Our universe is expanding.
- It is darkest before the dawn.
- I really enjoy going to college.
- Mixing blue and yellow produces the color green.
- Hard work really pays off.
- Hurricanes form over warm tropical waters.
- “The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.” - Aristotle
- “Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.” - Oscar Wilde
- “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.” - Woody Allen
- “The environment is everything that isn't me.” - Albert Einstein
- “A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.” - Phyllis Diller
- Please be quiet while I am on the phone.
- Watch out!
- You must have your room clean by tomorrow!
- Drive to the next town and turn at the first traffic light.
- Sit down and have something to eat.
- Just go for it!
- Wash your hands before cooking.
- Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
- Turn that music down!
- “If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.” - Maya Angelou
- “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.” - Dr. Seuss
- “Try to be like the turtle - at ease in your own shell.” - Bill Copeland
- “And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”-John Kennedy
- “Open your books to page 394.” - Severus Snape in Harry Potter
- These hailstones are huge!
- I can’t believe he did that!
- I can’t take it anymore!
- What clever students you are!
- She loves you so much!
- You must tell me the secret!
- He can hardly stand the suspense!
- Mary is ecstatic about the news.
- I don’t want to go to the doctor!
- Great, the house is ours!
- We are going to Italy next month!
- I really did win the lottery!
- Today is the last day of school!
- I can’t live without you!
- This mountain is huge!
- The amusement park is so much fun!
- “I write music with an exclamation point!” - Richard Wagner
- “Give me liberty or give me death!” - Patrick Henry
- Did you see my keys?
- Are you going to finish your dessert?
- Why did you put makeup on the dog?
- Where are you going this time of night?
- What is the distance from the Earth to the sun?
- How many electrons are in a helium atom?
- May I see the invitation?
- Would you like to visit Hawaii?
- “Why is it men are permitted to be obsessed about their work, but women are only permitted to be obsessed about men?” - Barbra Streisand
- “Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?” - Phyllis Diller
- “Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Now you have seen plenty of different examples of syntax and you can better understand the role of syntax in the contruction of different types of sentences.