Geometric shapes are found practically everywhere, although they often go unnoticed to the untrained eye. Providing examples of geometric shapes will teach both you and your students how important they really are.
Examples of Geometric Shapes
Here is a list of different geometric shapes, along with examples of where you can spot them in every day life.
- Circle (pizza pie, cookies, wheels of a bike)
- Square (a garage, square rubber stamps, tiles on the floor)
- Triangle (a slice of pizza, a slice of cheese cut in that shape, a sandwhich cut in half diagonally)
- Rectangle (apartment buildings, hopscotch board, certain cell phones)
- Pentagon (The Pentagon, the designs found on soccer balls)
- Hexagon (ice crystals, some snowflakes)
- Octagon (stop sign, some umbrellas)
- Decagon (certain collectors coins)
- Nonagon (lids for types of cookie bins/containers)
- Trapezoid (the trusses of a bridge)
- Parallelogram (many bags/purses fall into this category, the structure of some bridges, wallets)
- Rhombus (baseball diamonds, some kites, certain crystals)
- Heptagon (covers for a cookie bin, some types of pill boxes)
- Star (stars up in the sky, a star necklace, star cookie cutters)
- Crescent (crescent rolls, the moon during certain phases)
- Oval (eyes, eggs, buns for a hot dog)
- Semicircle (half a cookie, half a pizza pie, and other incomplete circles)
- Cylinder (cardboard inside a paper towel)
- Prism (cardboard box, cameras, cereal box)
- Pyramid (an actual pyramid, roof of a house)
Some of these shapes are interchangeable, of course. For example, a bag might not always be a parallelogram, as there are certainly circular bags and other types possible.
The purpose of having examples for geometric shapes is so that you can see how these figures are actually important in every day, and so that you can transmit the information regarding practical applications of geometric figures to anyone you're educating.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"What are Examples of Geometric Shapes?." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 18 October 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/what-are-examples-of-geometric-shapes.html>.
What are Examples of Geometric Shapes?. (n.d.). Retrieved October 18th, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/what-are-examples-of-geometric-shapes.html