There are times in life when darkness quotes provide the perfect way to share a message. Whether you're looking to describe visual darkness or feelings of despair, the right quotes about darkness can help you express your thoughts and feelings in a constructive manner.
Hope and Light in Darkness Quotes
It can sometimes feel that darkness will never end, especially when it's related to negative events or a person's behavior. These meaningful quotes about light in the darkness can remind you or others that there is hope for a better tomorrow.
- When faced with the pull of darkness, choose light.
- It's futile to curse the darkness; why not instead light a candle?
- You have the power to bring light to life from darkness.
- Without darkness, how would you know how much to appreciate brighter days?
- Darkness follows light. Remind yourself that, without darkness, there would be no more light.
- No matter how dark things seem right now, stay strong in your knowledge that there are better days ahead.
- Darkness provides an opportunity to prove what you're made of so you can better rise to face the challenges of tomorrow.
- When darkness causes you to mope, remind yourself that there is always hope.
- "God's light is more powerful than darkness." - Kelly Lorencin
- "Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light." - A Ring of Endless Light, Madeline L'Engle
- "And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes/ I'll see you on the dark side of the moon." - "Dark Side of the Moon," Pink Floyd
- "We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J.K. Rowling
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light." - Helen Keller
- "It is always darkest just before the Day (sic) dawneth." - Thomas Fuller
- "Where there is hatred let me sow love ... / Where there is darkness, light ..." - Prayer of Saint Francis of Assissi
- "When the road you walk is dark, may you always hear, even in your hour of sorrow, the gentle singing of the lark." - Unknown, Irish blessing
Power and Truth of Darkness Quotes
Just as there is power and hope in light, there is also power and truth in darkness. That's part of the reason why people often have such a strong fear of darkness. Even those who feel drawn to darkness still are often fearful of it. Explore a selection of quotes related to this unique aspect of darkness.
- If darkness is in one's nature, there's a difficult choice to be made.
- You can love someone who's in despair without falling into their darkness.
- Darkness is like a window to the unknown, or at least what is not known to you.
- During the darkest of days, that's when you'll discover who you really are.
- Finding your way through darkness is part of the journey toward discovering your truth.
- The power of darkness is like a powerful magnet.
- Don't lose your true self to the power of darkness.
- "But I know a thing or two about pain and darkness" - "Lane Boy," Twenty One Pilots
- "Ahh, hard to see, the Dark Side is." Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, Yoda
- "I'll stay awake/ 'Cause the dark's not taking prisoners tonight" "Ode to Sleep," Twenty One Pilots
- “There are two forces at work in the world: the power of light and the power of darkness.” - Rip Van Winkle and the Pumpkin Lantern, Seth Adam Smith
- "Taking something as the darkness draws me in/ This is not my way... Not my way!" - "Darkness Draws Me In," Babylon Fire
- "It was the possibility of darkness that made the day seem so bright." - Wolves of the Calla, Stephen King
- "I know, somehow, that only when it is dark enough, can you see the stars." - Martin Luther King
- "And the clouds perish'd; Darkness had no need / Of aid from them—She was the Universe." - "Darkness," Lord Byron
- "Darkness of slumber and death, forever sinking and sinking." - "Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie," Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- "As one great furnace flamed; yet from those flames / No light; but rather darkness visible / Served only to discover sights of woe," Paradise Lost, John Milton
- "A misfortune never makes me uneasy provided I know in what it consists; but it is my nature to be afraid of darkness." - The Confessions of Jean Jacques Rousseau, Jean Jacques Rousseau
Happiness in Darkness Quotes
The dark isn't necessarily something to fear. Some people smile and find their way to shine in the darkness. These quotes serve as inspiration to smile in the darkness and to remember that darkness can be the backdrop for great happiness.
- There is no greater beauty than the night sky filled with twinkling stars and planets.
- In the darkness, when it's just you and your thoughts, you can let your true self shine through in all its glory.
- What could be more beautiful and relaxing than an evening stroll in the moonlight?
- Darkness is where the magic of moonlight lives.
- In the darkest times, that's where you'll find your greatest strength.
- Darkness separates fair-weather friends from those who will see you through the storm.
- Want to feel free and alive? Go to the forest and dance in the moonlight.
- Let night fold over you like the warm embrace of an old friend.
- As the sun fades to darkness, the stage is set for the dawning of a new day.
- No matter how dark things feel right now, you will be happy again.
- What joy can come from weathering the storm of darkness to emerge into the light again.
- "There is something to be said for the night. The darkness holds a sense of promise, as if anything could happen." - Fear University, Meg Collett
- "I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars." - Twilight, Stephenie Meyer
- "I think it's great when stories are dark and strange and weirdly personal." - Robin Williams
- "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody." - Following the Equator, Mark Twain
- "Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content." - The Story of My Life, Helen Keller
- "May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door." - Unknown, Irish blessing
Share Your Meaning
Whether you use these quotes in your writing, cards, Instagram captions, or for any other purpose, they can be a great source of meaning and inspiration. Chances are that any quote that speaks to you or touches you in some way will do the same for others. Now that you've explored these quotes about darkness, take the time to explore a selection of dark words. You might find that they pair perfectly with the dark quotes that you decide to use, or they might even inspire you to come up with some unique quotes of your own. If you love dark quotes, you might also enjoy sad quotes.