Feelings of sadness are part of the human experience. Everyone experiences sadness at different times in their lives. Sadness quotes can help remind you, as well as those you care about, that sadness is a natural and normal part of life while also providing a bit of comfort. If you're looking for sad quotes to reflect on and share, explore this extensive collection of original sayings and excerpts from literature and song lyrics to find ones that speak to you.
60+ Sad Quotes That Will Touch Your Soul
Simple Sad Quotes
Quotes about sadness don't have to be long, complex or filled with hidden meanings. The short and simple quotes original quotes and famous quotes provide meaningful insights about sadness without being wordy.
- Sadness is not who you are; it's how you feel at a point in time.
- You can feel sad without losing yourself.
- Tears are your soul asking to be heard.
- When tears want to fall, let them.
- When facing loss or difficulties, it's important to allow yourself to feel sad.
- Sadness can be a necessary precursor to healing.
- I love you when you're happy, I love you when you're sad. You don't have to pretend to be up when you're feeling bad.
- In a season of sadness, remember there is light on the other side.
- Whoever you are, however sad you feel, it's okay sometimes for you to just be.
- Sadness and happiness are not either/or propositions. You can feel both at the same time.
- Those who insulate themselves from sadness, also insulate themselves against joy.
- Seeking professional help to work through enduring sadness is a sign of strength.
- Experiencing sadness is part of what it means to be human.
- The experience of grief is not the same for everyone.
- Sadness, along with every other emotion you experience, is part of who you are.
- Never forget: You are not alone. Whether you reach out to friends and family or a counselor or therapist, there is help available.
- "I will be stronger than my sadness." - My Heart and Other Black Holes, Jasmine Warga
- "Unhappiness can't stick in a person's soul when it's slick with tears.” - Princess Academy, Shannon Hale
- "Nothing thicker than a knife's blade separates happiness from melancholy.” - Orlando: A Biography, Virginia Woolf
- "Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes a part of you, step for step, breath for breath." - The Sky Is Everywhere, Jandy Nelson
- "Sadness is more or less like a head cold- with patience, it passes. Depression is like cancer.” - The Bean Trees, Barbara Kingsolver
- “If you desire healing, / let yourself fall ill" - Jalal al-Din Rumi
Sad Quotes About Life and Pain
For more in-depth quotes about the role of sadness in life, you may find the following literary and musical quotes to be helpful. The concepts conveyed in these quotes can be a reassuring source of understanding and knowledge for those who are experiencing sadness.
- "Life is not a PG feel-good movie. Real life often ends badly." - The Silver Linings Playbook, Matthew Quick
- "Words are tears that have been written down. Tears are words that need to be shed. Without them, joy loses all its brilliance and sadness has no end. Thank you, then, for your tears." - Paulo Coelho
- "When you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling.” - Life of Pi, Yann Martel
- "Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart.” - Mi Vida: A Story of Faith, Hope and Love, José N. Harris
- "There are two types of people in the world: those who prefer to be sad among others, and those who prefer to be sad alone.” - The History of Love, Nicole Krauss
- "There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well.” - A Walk to Remember, Nicholas Sparks
- "Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say, ‘My tooth is aching’ than to say, ‘My heart is broken.’" - The Problem of Pain, C.S. Lewis
- "I didn't know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes." - The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
- "Any fool can be happy. It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep.” - Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War, Clive Barker
- “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won." - Mahatma Gandhi
- "You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness/ Like resignation to the end, always the end" - "Somebody That I Used to Know," Gotye
- "Every rose has its thorn/ Just like every night has its dawn/ Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song/ Every rose has its thorn" - "Every Rose Has its Thorn," Poison
- "Most of us are sad/ No one lets it show/ I've been shadows of myself/ How was I to know?" - "Most of Us Are Sad," The Eagles
- "A beautiful face without a name for so long/ A beautiful smile to hide the pain" - "Wind Beneath My Wings," Bette Midler
- "The hurt doesn't show, but the pain still grows/ It's no stranger to you and me" - "In the Air Tonight," Phil Collins
- "It is always darkest just before the Day dawneth." - Thomas Fuller
- "There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds." - Mistral's Kiss, Laurel K. Hamilton
- "I pretend I'm not hurt,/ I walk about the world like I'm havin' fun." - "Body Electric," Lana Del Rey
- "I didn't want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that's really sad." - It's Kind of a Funny Story, Ned Vizzini
- "Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; / Behind the clouds is the sun still shining; / Thy fate is the common fate of all, / Into each life some rain must fall" - "The Rainy Day," Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- "The twilight is sad and cloudy / The wind blows wild and free," - "Twilight," Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Sad Quotes on Love
People often experience sadness related to love, particularly when a relationship ends through a break-up or death, as well as when there is turmoil or strife within an ongoing relationship.
- Sadness is a process that a broken heart has to go through in order to mend.
- Love can take you to the highest highs and the lowest of lows; the joy of love must at times be balanced by sadness.
- Is it harder to lose a loved one by choice or by death? Loss is loss. It is not a competition.
- Love is not always rational. The same is true for how we respond to the loss of love.
- When a loved one dies, you've not lost the love you shared with that person. They are gone, but the love lives on in you.
- It's natural to feel sad when any relationship ends, even if you chose to leave and the relationship was toxic.
- It's not possible to begin to recover from the end of a relationship without going through a period of sadness.
- You can be madly and passionately in love today, yet still feel sadness for the loss of previous loves.
- Those who avoid all chances of sadness will never have the opportunity to experience true love.
- Sadness will find its way into every relationship; it's how you work through such times together that define the strength of your love.
- "So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” - Brushstrokes of a Gadfly, E.A. Bucchianeri
- "I fell in love, now I feel nothin' at all/ Had never felt so low when I was vulnerable/ Was I a fool to let you break down my walls?" - "Love Yourself," Justin Bieber
- "Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead" - "Someone Like You," Adele
- "Only know you love her when you let her go/ And you let her go" - "Let Her Go," Passenger
- "I thought that I've been hurt before/ But no one's ever left me quite this sore/ Your words cut deeper than a knife" - "Stitches," Shawn Mendes
- "Wonder this time where she's gone/ Wonder if she's gone to stay/ Ain't no sunshine when she's gone" - "Ain't No Sunshine," Bill Withers
- "Now it's back to two again/ The little girl and I/ Who looks so much like her sweet mother/ Sometimes it makes me cry" - "Rocky," Austin Roberts
- "'Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all." - "In Memoriam A. H. H. OBIIT MDCCCXXXIII: 27," Alfred Lord Tennyson
- "It is sad not to be loved, but it is much sadder not to be able to love." - Perplexities and Paradoxes, Miguel De Unamuno
- "Tonight I can write the saddest lines. / I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too." - "Tonight I Can Write (The Saddest Lines)," Pablo Neruda
Communicating About Emotions
Communicating about emotions can be tricky, whether you're seeking to convey your own emotions to someone else or you're reaching out to help someone who is having a difficult time. These quotes can be helpful, but it's also important to adjust your overall communication to a tone that's appropriate for the situation. Review this list of adjectives to describe tone, feeling and emotions to help you chose the right words to use in sad circumstances.