Jingles used to be all the rage. Just a sentence or two put to a catchy tune that would stick in the consumers mind and build product awareness. Today, the emphasis in advertising is more on words and slogans.
Here are some well-known advertising agency catch phrases of recent years in the categories of automobiles, ice cream, computers, and pet food.
- Mercedes-Benz: Unlike any other, Mercedes-Benz; The Future of the Automobile; Engineered to move the human spirit
- Honda: The Power of Dreams; It must be love; Technology you can enjoy
- Subaru: Subaru. Think. Feel. Drive; Driven By What's Inside; When You Get It, You Get It
- Ford: Built for the road ahead; Designed for living; Engineered to last
- BMW: The Ultimate Driving Machine; Sheer Driving Pleasure; The Ultimate Driving Experience
- Jaguar: Unleash a Jaguar; Don't dream it. Drive it! The art of performance
- Haagen-Dazs: Haagen-Dazs. Made like no other; Pleasure is the path to joy
- Good Humor: Return to the Classics
- Breyers: Taste, not technology
- Blue Bell: We eat all we can and sell the rest
- Klondike Bar: What would you do for a Klondike Bar?
- Nestle / Peters Drumstick ice cream cone: What's a life without surprises?!
- Macintosh: It Does More. It Costs Less. It's that Simple; The Power to Be Your Best
- Compaq: Inspiration technology; Has it changed your life yet?
- Dell: Purely You; Easy as Dell
- IBM: I think, therefore IBM; Solutions for a small planet
- Toshiba: In Touch With Tomorrow; Take Toshiba, Take the World
- Alpo: Doesn't your dog deserve ALPO? A great dog deserves Alpo
- Meow Mix: Tastes so good cats ask for it by name
- Whiskas: What cats want; Cats Know the Difference, There's nothing cats would rather eat
Some advertising agency catch phrases have become famous and entered the world of jargon and slang expressions. Let’s look at some of these.
- L’Oreal Cosmetics: Because you are worth it
- Reebok: I am what I am
- Nike: Just Do it
- Adidas: Impossible is Nothing
- Yahoo: Do you… Yahoo!?
- LG: Life’s Good
- Sony: Like. no. other
- General Electric: Imagination at Work
- McDonalds: I’m lovin’ it; Put a smile on
- Nescafe: Coffee at its best
- Coca Cola: Always Coca Cola; Just for the taste of it
- Johnny Walker: Keep walking
- Wendy's: Where's the beef? This was one of most famous advertising agency catch phrases of all time. It was included in the 1984 Wendy’s advertising campaign. The original television commercial showed three elderly ladies examining a hamburger with a huge bun and a small patty. Two of them remarked that the bun was big, very big, big fluffy, very big fluffy, until the other one demanded to know, “Where’s the beef?” This catch phrase was repeated in films, magazines, and television shows. Everybody was saying it. It quickly became part of our language and was heard in many situations, like in television shows and cartoons in magazines. The phrase came to be used to question any ingredients in a product or the validity of a claim.
- Geico: 15 minutes could save you 15 percent or more on car insurance; It’s so easy a caveman can do it.”
Some of these advertising slogans won awards from the advertising industry; and others were very memorable even though they didn't receive an award from other advertisers.