A liability is a debt, obligation or responsibility by an individual or company. Current liabilities are debts that are due within 12 months or the yearly portion of a long term debt.
Current Liabilities for Companies
- Accounts payable - This is money owed to suppliers.
- Accrued expenses - These are monies due to a third party but not yet payable; for example, wages payable.
- Accrued Interest - This includes all interest that has accrued since last paid.
- Bank account overdrafts - These are short term advances made by the bank for overdrafts.
- Bank loans or notes payable -This is the current principal portion of along-term note.
- Current maturities of long-term debt - This is the part of a long term debt that is due in the upcoming 12 months.
- Customer deposits or unearned revenue - These are payments given by customers as an advance for future work that is expected to be completed by the end of the next 12 months.
- Dividends payable - These are the dividents declared by the company Board of Directors that have not yet been paid to the shareholders.
- Income taxes payable - These are taxes owed to the government that have not yet been paid.
- Interest payable - This is interest owed to lenders that has not been paid.
- Notes payable (other than bank notes) - This is the current principal portion of long-term notes.
- Payroll taxes payable - This is taxes withheld from employees or taxes related to employee compensation.
- Rental payments - These are paid for renting buildings, land, pastures, or other property or structures.
- Short-term notes payable - These loans are due upon demand or within the next year.
- Sales taxes payable - These are taxes collected from customers for the government that need to be paid to the government.
- Wages - These are owed to employees.
Personal Current Liabilities
- Car loans
- Credit card debt
- Current monthly bills - rent, utilities, insurance, etc
- Home equity loan
- Home mortgages
- Lines of credit
- Loans for investment purposes
- Miscellaneous debts - hospital charges for example
- Personal loans
- Rental or other property mortgage
- Student loans
- Unpaid Income Tax
- Unpaid Taxes and Interest
These different examples of current liabilities for companies and for individuals show the breadth of liability which could be the obligation of a company or individual.