A pun is a joke that makes a play on words, typically by using words that sound similar but have different meanings. It can also use different meanings of the same word to make the saying funny. While some puns will likely only be understood by adults, funny puns for kids a great way for young ones to learn how to play with language too.
Puns That Start With a Question
Perhaps the oldest joke formula of all-time is one when you pose a rhetorical question where the answer is a clever pun. Here are some great examples.
- What do you call an alligator in a vest? An investigator!
- How do turtles talk to each other? By using shell phones!
- Why are teddy bears never hungry? They are always stuffed!
- Why did the spider go to the computer? To check his web site.
- Where do polar bears vote? The North Poll.
- Why are playing cards like wolves? They come in packs.
- What do you get when you cross a snake and a pie? A pie-thon!
- What was the reporter doing at the ice cream shop? Getting the scoop!
- What do you call a sleeping bull? A bull-dozer.
- What do baseball players eat on? Home plates!
- Why did the turkey cross the road? To prove he wasn't chicken!
- Why do fish live in salt water? Because pepper makes them sneeze!
- What did the judge say when the skunk walked into the court room? Odor in the court!
- How do you fix a broken tomato? With tomato paste.
- Why did the lion spit out the clown? Because he tasted funny!
- What's purple and 5000 miles long? The Grape Wall of China!
- What do you call a knight who is afraid to fight? Sir Render.
Puns About Animals
Funny animal puns always go over well with children.
- The best way to communicate with a fish is to drop them a line.
- He bought a donkey because he thought he might get a kick out of it.
- In the winter my dog wears his coat, but in the summer he wears his coat and pants.
- Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
- A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
- Energizer Bunny arrested -- charged with battery.
- A skunk fell in the river and stank to the bottom.
- The chicken crossed the playground to get to the other slide.
- The best way to stop a charging bull is to take away his credit card.
- The marine biology seminars weren't for entertainment, but were created for educational porpoises.
- Why are fish so smart? Because they live in schools.
- What do you get from a pampered cow? Spoiled milk.
Keep the Laughs Going
When you're ready to dig into more jokes that lean on clever wordplay, there are still plenty of laughs to be enjoyed. Take a look at these examples of puns for inspiration, and then check out puns in literature to see more from some of the greats.