Skepticism, simply put, is doubt. This disbelief can be based on the lack of scientific evidence to support a claim or it can be based on religious beliefs. Sometimes people are skeptical just because they don't believe something, in spite of scientific evidence.
Skepticism in Certain Situations
- The police officer was skeptical that the driver, who was weaving in and out of traffic, only had two beers.
- We were skeptical when Mary claimed that, after having two children, she could still get into her wedding dress.
- The sales pitch seemed too good to be true, so he was skeptical.
- The teacher was skeptical when Timmy told her the dog ate his homework.
- After the politician said he would not raise taxes, the voters were skeptical.
- Joy was skeptical when the television ad said the cleaner would take out all stains.
- I was still skeptical even after the word "natural" was printed on the food label.
Skepticism in Other Fields
- Aryanism - claim that the Aryan race is superior
- Channeling - communication with a spirit
- Creationism and creation myths
- Crop circles - patterns in crops are created by aliens
- Curses - Certain people or objects can cause bad luck
- Dowsing - a way to find water or minerals under the ground
- EVP - Electronic voice phenomenon
- ESP - Extra-sensory perception
- Feng shui - Chinese system for locating a place for a tomb or shrine
- Holocaust denial - that the Nazi extermination camps did not take place.
- Hypnotherapy - therapy while the subject is hypnotized
- Mayan calendar and the end of the earth
- Mythical creatures like elves, fairies, unicorns, leprechauns or gnomes
- Polygraphy - lie detectors
- Psychokinesis - moving objects with the power of the mind
- Psychoanalysis - theory formulated by Sigmund Freud
- Subliminal advertising - visual or oral information below a person's consciousness
- Superstitions - can be both good luck and bad luck
- UFOs - some do not believe in their existence
- Voodoo dolls - belief that if you hurt the doll you hurt the person it resembles
Now you have seen some examples of skepticism in specific situations as well as things that many people are skeptical about.