Payment terms are the conditions under which a vendor completes a sale. The payment terms cover:
- When payment is expected
- Any conditions on that payment
- Any discounts the buyer will receive
Payment terms can apply to any party in the sale, from the wholesaler to the individual consumer.
Discount Payment Terms
- Accumulation discounts - Discounts for large purchases
- Coupons - These have certain terms, such as a certain quantity has to be purchased or if the customer is past a certain age
- Disability discount - Offer to customers with a disability
- Discount card - Issuing cards that give certain customers or any customer a discount
- Educational or student discount - Usually given to students, but may go to educators
- Employee discount - Offered to employees
- Forward dating - Moving the invoice date forward so that the payment is made after receipt of goods
- Military discount - Offered to members of the military and family members
- Partial payment discount - When a seller needs cash flow, he may offer a partial discount
- Preferred payment method discount - Some retailers give customers a lower price if they pay with cash. This saves the fee the retailer pays on credit cards.
- Prompt payment discount - The wholesaler or manufacturer gives a discount to the retailer at the list price or catalogue price. This sometimes applies to promotions.
- Rebates - A refund mailed to the purchaser after a purchase
- Sliding scale - This discount is calculated on a person's ability to pay. This is common with non-profit organizations.
- Seasonal discount - Usually this is given during a slack period when sales are down.
- Toddler discount, child discount, or kid discount - This covers free or discounted prices for children under a certain age. There is usually a requirement that an adult pay full price.
- Trade discount - Payments for functions such as shelf stocking, warehousing or shipping
- Trade-in credit - A discount for something that is returned
These examples of payment terms show the wide variety of terms that can be offered by the vendor.