A periodic sentence has the main clause or predicate at the end. This is used for emphasis and can be persuasive by putting reasons for something at the beginning before the final point is made. It can also create suspense or interest for the reader.
Periodic Sentence Examples
Periodic Sentences in Everyday Life
Examples of periodic sentences include:
- In spite of heavy snow and cold temperatures, the game continued.
- With low taxes, beautiful views and a mild climate, this city is a great place to live.
- Positive thinking, by helping us stay focused and maintaining a good attitude, is important for a happy life.
- Because of adding a pool, spa and restaurant, the hotel is experiencing an increase in guests.
- Presenting, the winner of seven Academy Awards and two Tony Awards, I present the star of tonight's play, Herbert Smith.
- After shopping at the mall, walking the dogs and washing the car, I finally got to stay in and relax.
- If the price was good and the quality excellent, I might consider buying a designer dress.
- Renewable energy resources, like wind, solar, and geothermal, will be the answers to Earth's energy problems.
- With a blood-curdling scream and claws outstretched, the eagle went after the rabbit.
- The beach, with white sand, crystal clear water, and palm trees, is a favorite hangout for the locals.
- Now, after years of research and many modifications, here is the latest model of out hybrid.
- The gazelle, peacefully drinking and unaware of any danger, was soon the target of the lioness.
- With a beautiful set and a pyrotechnic display, the act was sure to please.
- Proper maintenance, like checking tire pressure, changing the oil and getting tune-ups, will ensure the best gas mileage for your car.
- Considering the attentiveness, friendliness and speed of service, this waiter will definitely be getting a good tip.
- Spring, with new buds popping out, flowers blooming, and mild temperatures, is my favorite season.
- Whether it was peer pressure or her own idea, Mary tried out for the glee club and made it.
- In spite of losing one ship and weathering a storm, Columbus made it back to Spain.
- By the smell of barbequing and the fireworks in the sky, I knew it was Independence Day.
- After combing through the ad for jobs and sending out hundreds of resumes, Steve finally got his dream job.
- Severe weather systems and the melting of the polar ice caps are both signs of climate change.
- Because they are independent, take care of themselves, and purr, I prefer cats over dogs.
Sentences from Literature
Here are examples of periodic sentences from literature:
- "To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, that is genius." - Ralph Waldo Emerson in Self-Reliance
- "In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul." - Frank Herbert in Dune
"Out of the bosom of the Air,
Out of the cloud-folds of her garment shaken,
Over the woodlands brown and bare,
Over the harvest-fields forsaken,
Silent and soft, and slow,
Descends the snow." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in Snowflakes
- "Halfway between West Egg and New York City sprawls a desolate plain, a gray valley where New York's ashes are dumped" - Scott Fitzgerald in The Great Gatsby
- "Unprovided with original learning, uninformed in the habits of thinking, unskilled in the arts of composition, I resolved -- to write a book." - Edward Gibbon in Memoirs of My Life
The complex periodic sentence is typically used in more formal sentence construction; so, its usage is not as common today in verbal or written communication. Today this climatic style is most often seen in literature.