If you need to clearly describe how to do something, these process analysis essay examples can help you get a sense for what you should include in your writing. Learn how to structure a process analysis essay to get a great grade and help your reader understand how a process works.
Process Analysis Essay Examples & Structure Tips
Two Types of Process Analysis Essays
There are two main types of process analysis essays: directional and informational. Before you begin writing your essay, you’ll need to decide which type you are going to write:
- Directional process analysis essays tell the reader how to perform a process, such as cooking biscuits or solving cryptograms.
- Informational process analysis essays tell about how something is done without giving directions to actually do it. Some examples of this type of essay might include how a hot dog is made or how a phase transition from a gas to a solid occurs.
Looking at example essays of both types will help you get a better understanding of which type you plan to write.
Directional Process Analysis Essay Example
In this directional process analysis essay example, the writer tells the reader how to make cut-off shorts. You’ll notice that the transitions in this essay let the reader move easily from paragraph to paragraph. The essay is organized into steps with each body paragraph providing details about one step in the process of making the shorts.
Instead of buying a pair of cut-off shorts at the store, you can save money and continue wearing your favorite jeans by making your own cut-offs. Traditionally, cut-offs are denim shorts that have a ragged edge at the bottom. All you need to make them is a sharp pair of scissors, a pencil, and this easy three-step process.
To download the entire essay, simply click on the link with the thumbnail. If you need help, this handy guide to Adobe printables has some great tips.
Informational Process Analysis Essay Example
In this informational process analysis essay, the writer tells how a process happens without giving directions for the reader to actually do it. You’ll notice that the writing style is different. The writer isn’t speaking directly to the reader and is instead taking a more informational tone. Each step in the process has a paragraph within the body of the essay, and the conclusion sums up the process.
For people hoping to adopt a new pet from a shelter, the process can seem a bit confusing. It can take some time to find the right pet, but the actual process of adoption doesn’t take very long. Each shelter is different, but in most cases, there are three main steps in the pet adoption process. By the time they are finished, the pet has a new home.
To download the full essay, simply click on the thumbnail of the PDF.
Structuring Your Process Analysis Essay
Because a process analysis essay needs to be clear and easy for your reader to follow, how you structure it is very important. These tips can help:
- Start by deciding whether you’re writing a directional or informational essay. Are you telling your reader how to do the process or telling your reader how the process is done?
- Divide the process into steps in the order the steps are performed. You can use this list of steps to create an outline for your paper.
- Each step will be a paragraph or section in your essay. Explain why each step is needed and give details necessary to complete it.
- Include great transitions between paragraphs and steps. Use transition words like “then,” “after,” and “next.”
- End with a way for your reader to determine whether the process was successful or the evidence that shows the process is complete.