Renewable resources are those which can be replenished over time by some natural process, including farming. These resources have the ability to be renewed over a short period of time.
Common of Renewable Resources
- Alcohol - Used in the production of biodiesel
- Algae - Can be harvested and made into jet fuel, biodiesel and biobutanol
- Animal fat - Used to make biodiesel or bioplastic
- Bark and sawdust - Used for heat and power
- Barley - Can make fuel ethanol
- Corn - Used to make ethanol to power cars and heat homes
- Corn starch - Used to make bioplastic
- Crop residues - Such as wheat straw or corn stover
- Duckweed - Used fore ethanol production
- Geothermal energy - The heat of the Earth and comes from under the ground. Power plants use this as well as geothermal heat pumps for homes.
- Hydropower - Uses moving water to generate electricity in dams, rivers, ocean surface waves and the tides in the ocean
- Jatropha - A weed that can be made into biodiesel
- Landfill gas, or methane - Can be used for heat and power
- Manure - Can be converted to methane that can produce biogas
- Microbiota (an evergreen plant) - Used to make bioplastic
- Nuclear power - Created through nuclear fission
- Palm oil - Used to make biodiesel
- Pea starch - Used to make bioplastic
- Poultry litter - Can be used to make biogas or can be burned to make electricity
- Rapeseed oil - Used to make biodiesel fuel
- Rice hulls - Gas produced from these is used to make biogas
- Solar energy - Energy from the sun. The sun can be used to charge batteries, can be collected with solar cells to make electricity, or used passively to heat a building.
- Soybean oil - Useful to make biodiesel
- Sugarcane - Used in the production of ethanol as fuel for heating or automobiles
- Sunflower oil - Can be made into biodiesel
- Switchgrass - Used to make ethanol
- Vegetable oil - Used in the manufacture of biodiesel or bioplastic
- Water hyacinth - Used for methane fermentation
- Wheat - Used to make ethanol
- Wind power - Used to make electricity and mechanical energy. There are wind turbines from residential homes to wind farms.
Important Renewable Food Crops
- Sweet potatoes
Animals Used for Food
- Cornish game hen
- Water buffalo
Trees As Renewable Resources
Trees are used for many things, including making paper and furniture. They also clean the air we breathe. Here are some examples:
- American black walnut
- American white wood
- Balsa wood
- European lime
Now that you have seen all of these renewable resources, check out some examples of Non Renewable Resources.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Renewable Resources." YourDictionary, n.d. Web. 22 June 2018. <http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-renewable-resources.html>.
Examples of Renewable Resources. (n.d.). Retrieved June 22nd, 2018, from http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-renewable-resources.html